I originally posted this two years ago but considering where the Trump administration has taken this country it was worth a repost.
America today seems to be more divided than ever. Hate for anything that is different from you is at an all-time high. The current administration stokes this fire with a message of division. The exact opposite of what has made this country great, the contributions of so many from so many different races and cultures It is done so they can enrich themselves and maintain their power. They are skilled at tapping into your inner prejudices and making you believe they are on your side, but the truth is the only side they are on is their own. As always, this situation can best be summed up from the lessons Star Trek continues to teach us.
1. Why the current president strategy of division among people so he may maintain his power is flawed.
The prejudices people feel about each other disappear when they get to know each other.
– Captain Kirk
2. How unity and not division is stronger for all of us
I am pleased to see that we have differences.
May we together become greater than the sum of both of us.
-Surak of Vulcan
3. Why our current President view of himself is flawed
Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind.
-Data, to Borg Queen
4. The strategy of our current President believes in maintaining power
Evil does seek to maintain power by suppressing the truth, or by misleading the innocent.
-Spock and McCoy
5. How many of the innocent who voted for our current feel today
After a time, you may find that “having” is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as “wanting.” It is not logical, but it is often true.
6. Why the thinking of many who defend the current president simply because he has an (R) after his name or are afraid of losing votes from his base is wrong
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act because you think it is connected to some higher purpose.
– Captain Picard
7. What the president walk-back of his statements in Russia showed us about him
It would seem that evil retreats when forcibly confronted
-Yarnek of Excalbia,
8. Why we must act as a people not as republicans or democrats
Without followers, evil cannot spread.
9. Why we must act now both republicans, democrats, and independents
Act, and you shall have dinner; wait, and you shall be dinner.
-Gowron, Klingon proverb